We are looking to add an Associate Trader/Trader to our growing Currency Trading team. This position will be an integral team member of an established group that offers a variety of currency overlay and currency trading services to plan sponsors, investment managers and Russell's funds. This individual will be directly involved in establishing, directing and implementing currency trading strategies. Responsibilities will include trading, transaction cost analysis, new client development and set-up, client service and systems development.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Trading: Execute/negotiate foreign exchange transactions (spots, forwards, options).
- New client set-up: Work closely with internal resources (including operations, legal/compliance and portfolio managers) to establish new accounts.
- Client service: Serve as primary contact for a subset of clients. Monitor and evaluate trading results. Report results to clients, answer client questions, and assist in the identification of additional business opportunities.
- Systems Development: Work with internal and external developers to design, develop and test tools to automate manual functions and improve risk controls.
- Transaction Cost Analysis: Work closely with other team members on FX TCA projects.
The successful candidate will have extensive demonstrable skills and experiences including the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics or Mathematics. MBA/CFA or progress toward desired.
- 2-5 years of relevant foreign exchange experience.
- Knowledge of electronic execution platforms and trading systems
- Knowledge of trading costs and settlement practices.
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Technology skills, including strong proficiency with excel and comfort with database applications.
- Proven client service abilities.
- Analytical, detail-oriented and very precise with numbers with a strong attention to detail.
- Composure to perform well under pressure and make rapid decisions.
- Flexible and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, unstructured environment.
Every day, we seek to improve financial security for people. Joining our Derivatives Trading team means you will be a part of a passionate and supportive team that believes what we do matters to our clients and investors. As a Trader at Russell Investments, you will have a specific derivatives focus will encompass a range of products in fixed income, equities and commodities. Instruments traded include swaps (OTC and cleared), listed futures, listed and OTC equity options. The associate will be part of a team developing and researching customized portfolio overlays and hedging strategies. The position will also have significant trade execution responsibility across Russell funds, third party clients and transition management clients. A successful candidate will be extremely detail oriented. An understanding of a wider set of financial products – including the interaction of equity derivatives with rates, fx and commodities is essential given the diverse nature of Russell’s client base. This position will interact with other trading desks, portfolio managers, implementation portfolio managers, Street side coverage, quant staff, IT and external clients. Ability to work well in a team and strong communication skills are imperative. This position calls for a highly organized, conscientious individual with strong analytical, quantitative, collaborative and communication skills. Traditionally, the team starts their day around 5:45 am. As the trading desk liaises with other international offices and is involved in global trading and portfolio management events, flexibility with working hours is expected and required. Knowledge of CRD and Bloomberg is a plus.
Your Essential Responsibilities:
- Trade Execution across fixed income and commodity futures, interest rate swaps, equity index options, total return swaps and credit derivatives.
- Portfolio management of liquidity sleeves. Research and creation of custom strategies.
- Implementation of improvements in team portfolio management processes – trading practices, portfolio analysis and performance reporting.
- Prepare roll reports and other performance related reports. Meet with PMs to discuss results. Create and maintain derivative baskets for benchmark replication. Reporting, guideline development and risk management of positions.
- Assist IT teams with feedback for process improvement and efficiency gains.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, mathematics or economics preferred
- 5 years of work experience in a related field
- Programming skills in VBA, R, C#, SQL preferred
- Fixed income futures, commodities, OTC, physicals knowledge
- Bloomberg knowledge
- Excel, Word, PowerPoint skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work in team within a time sensitive environment
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Solves and analyzes problems effectively, with a process for decision making. (Complex Problem Solver)
- Has the ability to understand and appropriately apply principles, procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to specialized expertise. (Strategic Technology Mindset)
- Evaluates problems via systems thinking, sees downstream affects, identifies future implications across a process to help prioritize solutions. (Operational Excellence)
- Has a deep understanding and application of markets and technical issues related to derivatives and vehicle types that support the investment process. (Portfolio Implementation and Trading Acumen)
Equal Employment Opportunity
Russell Investments is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all associates and employment applicants regardless of race, religion, ancestry, creed, color, gender (including gender identity which refers to a person’s actual or perceived sex, and includes self-image, appearance, behavior or expression, whether or not different from that traditionally associated with a person’s biological sex), age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, military status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, past or present unemployment status , or any other characteristic protected by law.
Contact: Mitch Burd, SENIOR TALENT ACQUISITION PARTNER
p. +1 206 505-4767